Friday, May 31, 2013

Life is a Verb: Day Three: Bread and a Lily

"When you have only two pennies left in the world, but a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other"
-Chinese Proverb

"...being practical and safe and always logical is way overrated."

Action Challenge: "I don't want to be a passenger in my own life" -Diane Ackerman

"Imagine you are in a car, driving down a street near your house.  Write for five minutes in great detail about what you see and notice as the drive of the car- and about what decisions a driver makes.  Stop, read what you've written.  Not imagine you are in the same car, driving down the same street.  But this time you are a passenger.  Write for another five minutes in great detail about what you see and notice as a passenger in the car- and about what decisions a passenger makes.  Read what you've just written.  Notice the difference between being a driver and being a passenger.  Who ultimately decides where you are going? Who sees more?"

Driver: I'm driving down University going 57 in a 45, which isn't abnormal because that road should be at least a 55 or 60, but whatever.  I drive past Metzler's and check to see if my friend's car is at work.  Looking back to the road I realize I'm going ot have to go through the yellow light.  Challenge accepted and mission accomplished.  I look down at my spedometer and realize it has inched up to almost 60, so I begin slowing down coasting down the long street.  I pass the bowling alley and the trees on the right side of the road, I check for the cop who normally radars by the church, but he isn't there.  Who cares, I'm at a nice 47mph.  Legal.  Enough anyway.  I go through the Nottingham intersection, deciding to wait until later to turn so it will be easier to pull out of my driveway later, plus I can keep on going fast for a little bit longer.  I pass Sonic on the left and check to see if it's Happy Hour because a Diet Cherry Limeade sounds like a slice of heaven.  It's 4:08pm.  So I keep driving down University, also called 380.  I pass the sketchy gas station that my mom loves for some unknown reason and I turn into the left turn lane at the intersection of Old North and University.  I yield and then turn.  That smart car is sitting at the doctors like always.  FIN.

Passenger: The music is playing some song that I don't really know, but I don't know if the driver likes the song so I just sit there trying to tap out the beat and listen to the lyrics.  I get wrapped up in the song and put my feet up on the dashboard if I know the person well enough.  While I tap out the beat on my legs I look out the right side of the window and notice the sketchy motel that always seems empty, the bowling alley, the trees and the youth center for the church.  I get bored and look over at the driver, talking with them about mutual friends or recent adventures.  I finally lean over and change the song.  I notice Sonic as we pass by.  I straighten up in my seat and wonder if that gas station out of my window is even open.  No one is there.  The apartments right next to it look sketchy.  But I bet the rent is cheap...Ijust couldn't leave anything nice in my car.  Oh, we're stopped at a light now waiting to turn left.  I would have gone like four cars ago, but I guess they don't like making left turns and are going to wait for the protected arrow...whatever, it's nice to be hanging out with them.  I guess I don't mind waiting.  I like the interior of the car, but I don't understand why they have so much trash in the floorboard.  FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment