Saturday, March 5, 2011

The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me

"A learner with the simplest, a teacher of the thoughtfullest,
A novice beginning yet experient of myriads of season,
Of every hue and caste am I, of every rank and religion,
A farmer, merchant, artist, gentleman, sailor, quaker,
Prisoner, fancy-man, rowdy, lawyer, physician, priest."
-16

"But they are not the Me myself'
-4

"I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contained, I stand and look at them long and long. They do not sweat and whine about their condition, They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins, They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God, Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning things, Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago, Not on is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth"
-32

"My left hand hooking you round the waist, My right hand pointing to landscapes of continents and the public road. Not I, nor any one else can travel that road for you, you must travel it for yourself. It is not far, it is within reach, Perhaps you have been on it since you were born and did not know, Perhaps it is everywhere on water and on land"
-46

"I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles"
-52

No comments:

Post a Comment